What We Do
Lutherans believe that we have an obligation to spread the Good News to others and as commanded by Jesus, "Go and make disciples of all people." (Matthew 28:19) We at Bethel support the following missions:
- LCMS World Mission
This is the global Gospel outreach of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. Currently there are more than 300 missionary families or individuals in 64 countries (including the U.S.) who evangelize unchurched people and train new leaders to spread the Good News of Jesus Christ. In addition to supporting this outreach generally, the members of Bethel contribute directly to the support of Ivan and Jennifer Rasch, missionaries in Nigeria.
- The Lutheran Hour
"Bringing Christ to the Nations" by means of radio, television, and the Internet. The Lutheran Hour is carried locally on KAGC, 1510 AM at 12:30 Sunday afternoons.
- Lutheran Women Missionary League
The Lutheran Women in Mission affirm their relationship with the Triune God, which enables them to use their gifts in ministry to the people of the world. Through inspiration, education, and discipleship, they reach others with the Word of the Gospel.
Lutherans also believe that our faith leads us to help others who are in need. As the Bible says, "We are God's people, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do" (Ephesians 2:10). Our activities include support of:
- Brazos Church Pantry (979) 822-2660
A coalition of churches in Brazos County pool their resources to provide food for the needy through this all-volunteer organization.
- Family Promise (979) 268-4309
The mission of Family Promise is to help homeless and low-income families achieve sustainable independence.
This organization recognizes that poverty is a multifaceted problem that requires a multifaceted response. It responds by integrating educational outreach, smart programming, effective policies, and the hands-on work of thousands of volunteers. They provide food, shelter, and support services for homeless families; they provide advice and advocacy for at-risk families to prevent their becoming homeless; and they educate people about poverty and the means to combat it.
Family Promise accomplishes its work through independent affiliates in 41 states (and counting). They work community-by-community guided by experts: the people who live there and know it best. Family Promise affiliates welcome all clients, and their volunteers come from diverse backgrounds and represent nearly every faith in the United States. This proven approach has helped nearly 80 percent of clients secure housing. At the heart of each affiliate is an Interfaith Hospitality Network (IHN). Each IHN marshals existing local resources to provide for homeless families as they work to get back on their feet. These resources include available congregational spaces, donated goods, and - most importantly - volunteers. Bethel Lutheran Church is proud to be part of this IHN: We're a "Buddy Church" with Family Promise in B/CS.
- Habitat for Humanity (979) 823-7200
A charitable organization dedicated to the elimination of poverty housing by combining volunteer labor with the "sweat equity" of prospective homeowners to build decent, affordable housing.
- Hope Pregnancy Center (979) 695-9193
Hope Pregnancy Centers is a charitable organization whose purpose is to bring glory to God, ministering in a Christ-centered environment to the needs of those experiencing crisis pregnancies while expressing God's truth concerning the sanctity of life.
- Free verification utilizing urine pregnancy test
- Free confirmation of pregnancy utilizing limited ultrasound
- Free STD screening
- Education and Information about
- Pregnancy and child development
- Abortion methods and abortion alternatives
- Sexually transmitted disease
- Spiritual reconciliation or restoration
- Post abortion care and education
- 24-hour Options helpline 1(800) 395-Help
- Community Referral
- Assistance in obtaining pre-natal care
- Referrals to community resources and agencies
- Parenting Support
- Life skill classes
- Hannah's closet
- Scotty's House (979) 775-4695
Scotty's House is a non-profit organization that provides a friendly, supportive, and nurturing environment where children can comfortably interact with law enforcement agencies. Children are referred to Scotty's House by law enforcement officials, CPS investigators, and medical professionals. Scotty's House provides a child-friendly environment where a trained forensic interviewer is able to conduct a videotaped interview. The videotape can then be shown to the necessary agencies and ultimately used in court reducing the stress on the child associated with having to retell his or her story under intimidating circumstances. Other services include onsite medical examinations, individual and family counseling, play therapy, support groups, and programs designed to prepare children to testify in court.
- Still Creek Ranch (979) 589-3206
Still Creek Ranch provides a loving, structured home for boys and girls who are victims of rejection, abuse, abandonment, or broken homes. Its goal is to give them a second chance, share the love of Jesus with them, restore their confidence, and instill in them a Christ-like character. The Ranch provides housing, food, clothing, health care and education for boys and girls of grade school age.
- Twin City Mission (979) 822-7511
The Twin City Mission provides shelter and support services to those most in need including: homeless persons and families, abused children, and victims of domestic violence. The Mission carries out its work through the following facilities and programs:
- The Bridge: A shelter for the homeless that also provides services to assist these people to achieve self-sufficiency.
- Phoebe's Home: A shelter for battered women and their children that provides services to enable their recovery from domestic violence.
- Home Partners: A transitional housing and self-sufficiency program for eligible residents of The Bridge and Phoebe's Home. Provides rental assistance, security deposits, and supportive services.
- Community Support Services: These include hot meals, clothing and household items, and individual and family counseling to promote self-sufficiency and stability. Provided free of cost to all in the community who qualify.
|Bethel Lutheran Church's Mission is declaring the Gospel to those who do not know Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, calling them into faith, while sharing and strengthening the faith of our members and fellow believers.|