Special Interest:

New Worship Service

The Story
Church-wide Bible Study


Sermons (audio)





Bethel Preschool


Public Worship


Saturday Evening
    Traditional Worship    6:00 PM

Sunday Traditional
  Worship   8:30 AM
Sunday Contemporary
  Worship    11:15 AM

The sacrament of Holy Communion is celebrated at all services on the First, Third, and Fifth Weekends of the month.


Sunday School, 10:00 AM

  • Small Children's opening
  • Youth classes
  • Adult class

See facilities map for classroom locations.

Nursery is provided for children 3 years old and younger during both Sunday worship services and the Sunday School hour.


Gatherings During the Week

  • Ladies Bible Study 9:30 AM Tuesday
  • Men's Study and Game group 7:00 PM Monday evening
  • Men's Bible Study 6:30 AM Friday morning
  • Saturday Evening Bible Study (Sanctuary) 5:00 PM

Brief Bethel History

1938First services were conducted at the Carnegie Library in downtown Bryan by Rev. Henry A. Traugott, pastor of Zion Lutheran Church in Kurten.
1940 Bethel Lutheran Church was organized on March 19 with the signing of the constitution.
1942 With the assistance of the Texas District Mission Board, a site for a church was purchased at Bittle Lane and College Avenue. The church was dedicated on June 28.
1945 Rev. H. A. Traugott accepted a call to LaGrange, Texas, and Rev. A. F. Droegemueller succeeded him as pastor of Bethel and Zion.
1946 A parsonage was purchased at 115 Hightland Street in Bryan. (or was it Highland Drive?)
1947 A dwelling on Bittle Lane and Washington Street was purchased with the help of the Texas District Mission Board. It was subsequently remodeled to serve as a parish hall and student meeting place.
1950 Rev. Droegemueller accepted a call to Galveston, Texas, and Rev. William C. Petersen succeeded him as pastor of Bethel and Zion. A new parsonage at 511 Southern Lane was purchased.
1952 The church building was enlarged.
1956 Double services were introduced on Sunday morning. A 12 acre tract of land on East 29th Street was purchased for a new church site.
1961 The Kurten ministry slowly merged into Bryan's ministry and Bethel became the sole congregation for the area.
1962 A four and a half acre site was purchased on East Lane and the property on East 29th Street was put up for sale.
1963 On July 7 groundbreaking ceremonies were held for the construction of a new church, education building, and parish hall.
1964 On February 23, closing services were held at the old church and the new buildings were dedicated.
1966 Rev. Petersen accepted a call to Abilene, Texas, and Rev. Gordon Albers became the fourth pastor of Bethel.
1968 Bethel began a kindergarten program, with Mrs. Bobbie Proctor as the first teacher. The program continued for five years, with Mrs. Ruth Schultz and Mrs. Becky Sundbeck serving as subsequent teachers.
1972 The education wing was enlarged with the addition of eleven classrooms. A vicar, Kent Wendorf, was received in September.
1973 Vicar Walter Gustav came to serve the school year in Bryan and the summer at Lake Somerville.
1974 Joel Janzow served as vicar at Bethel.
1975 Due to the growing needs of the church, the position of Director of Christian Education was created and Randy Kerkmann became Bethel's first DCE.
1976 Pastor Albers accepted a call to Houston, Texas.
1977 Rev. Duane Florschuetz became the fifth pastor at Bethel.
1979 DCE Kerkmann accepted a call to Houston, Texas.
1980 Kim Hille Davis became Bethel's second DCE.
1982 Work commenced on a new LC-MS mission congregation in College Station.
1983 A new hymnal - Lutheran Worship - was introduced in worship services at Bethel. The first computer system was purchased for use in the church office.
1984 Kim Davis moved from DCE to the position of parish associate. Randy Moerbe accepted a call to be Bethel's third DCE.
1985 The mission congregation in College Station - Holy Cross Lutheran - became a member of Synod at the District Convention in Galveston.
1987 The church office and education wing underwent extensive renovation, which included expanding the office space and creating a larger nursery area. Mrs. Davis stepped down as parish associate.
1988 Rev. Florschuetz accepted a call to become chaplain at Trinity Lutheran Home in Round Rock, Texas.
1989 Rev. Neil Bockelmann of Kankakee, Illinois, became Bethel's sixth pastor.
1998 In an effort to satisfy growing space needs, the first portable building was purchased.
2001 In November a second portable building was purchased for additional classroom space. Malcolm Randig began serving as Director of Music. Bethel purchased twelve acres on FM 158 for the development of a new site for the church.
2002 Kathy Herwald became parish associate.
2004 In September a third portable building was added to the church property.
2006 James Langford Architects of Dallas was hired to prepare a site plan and design phases for a new worship facility on the FM 158 property.
2007 The Lutheran Service Book was adopted by the congregation and introduced in worship services.
2008 Pastor Bockelmann retired after 18 years of faithful service as Bethel's pastor. Mr. Randig resigned as music director.
2008 Rev. Randall Bard was installed as Bethel's seventh pastor.
2008 Fran Beard became Director of Music.
2010 Construction was started on the new facility on Boonville Road.
2011 The Bethel Lane property was sold to Brazos School of Inquiry and Creativity as we moved to the new campus on Boonville Road.
Bethel Lutheran Church -- Making Disciples!